1. Define a purpose. Why do you want- or need- a civic association?
When you have organized, there is no requirement for your association to join the Federation, but we hope you will!
2. Determine your boundaries. Do not encroach upon the territory of a neighboring association. Because, a few years ago, the Arlington County Board decreed that the Federation be the arbiter of boundary changes, we ask that you work the Federation in order to establish your boundaries.
3. Ask friends or neighbors to assist you in canvassing the houses within you boundaries. Your purpose becomes a "selling point."
4. Obtain names, addresses, home numbers, etc. of those in agreement. Enlist their help as you continue the canvass.
5. Set a date for a meeting. Notify all residents.
6. Elect a temporary president, etc. Form committees to work on bylaws, nominate a slate of
officers, select a name, etc.
7. Set a time for the next meeting. All preliminary work is to be done by that date. Elect your
permanent officers, select your name, approve a set of Bylaws, etc. Then--
8. Notify the Arlington County Board Office, 2100 Clarendon Boulevard, #300, Arlington
Virginia 22201, telephone (703) 228-3130 of your association and the name, address, and telephone number of your president.
9. Notify the Arlington County Department of Public Works, Engineering Division, Mapping Center, 2100 Clarendon Boulevard, #813, telephone (703) 228-3629 has to be so that your association will be placed on the Arlington County Civic Associations map.
We will answer your questions, send you samples of Bylaws, help you determine boundaries, etc. If we, in the Federation may provide you with more help or with information about the Federation, please write
or call: Frances Finta, Membership Chairman, 3317 23rd Street North, Arlington, VA 22201-4310. Telephone: (703) 528-2882. You can also send an email to our President. If you decide that you would like to join the Federation, please follow the directions on the information sheet titled To Apply for Membership.