Arlington County Civic Federation
John T. Hazel Auditorium, Arlington Hospital
Minutes of the meeting of December 4, 2001
1. The President called the meeting to order at 7:30 PM.
2. Approval of Agenda: Approved unanimously.
3. Approval of Minutes from the November 2001 Meeting: Approved as written.
4. Treasurer's Report: Treasurer Frances Finta's written report, dated December 4, 2001, shows that 61 of the 76 member organizations have paid their 2001/2002 dues, including AHC, which has paid through 2002/2003. In addition, the report shows the combined Checking and Savings account balance of $3,972.04 with a $0.00 balance in the U.S. Postal Service bulk mail account.
5. President's Report. President Jim Pebley provided a brief overview of the boundary issue involving the Highland Park?Overlee Knolls Civic Association and the Overlee-Leeway Civic Association and the November 29, 2001 meeting that he attended. He then noted that Meals on Wheels is looking for volunteers. Third, he mentioned that the County's Parks and Recreation Commission has instituted the Bill Thomas Award. Finally, he mentioned the letter sent out by County Board member Chris Zimmerman concerning a new Metro route through Arlington.
6. Committee Reports. Membership Committee chair Frances Finta introduced the membership application of Optimist Club of Arlington, Virginia, which was approved unanimously. She then reported on (and provided a written report) the question of whether organizations like the Ft. Myer military neighborhood should be considered for membership. The conclusion, stated in the written report, is that "election to membership will be
decided by a 'two-thirds vote of the delegates present and voting' at the Federation meeting at which the application is presented."
7. Program: The program included the Schools Committee's introduction of the School Board and Superintendent; presentations by School Board members and the Superintendent; and closed with a Q&A session.
8. New Business. None.
9. Adjournment: The meeting adjourned just about 9:25 p.m.
Recorded by Timothy Wise, Secretary
This page was last revised on: December 28, 2003.