Meeting Archive FY2015
[Sept 2014-Jun 2015]
2 Jun 2015
- 7.30p Call to Order
- 7.40p Election of New Officers (see Nominating Committee slate in newsletter)
- 7.45p Priorities Updates
- 7.50p Revenues and Expenditures Committee Presentation on Economic Development
- 8.05p Schools Committee: Presentation, Resolution and Vote (see below)
- 8.30p Affordable Housing (see below)
- Housing Committee Presentation
- Minority Report, Parks and Recreation
- Minority Report, Revenue and Expenditures
- Minority Report, Planning and Zoning
- Housing Committee Resolution (brought to floor for action)
- Amendments to Resolution Offered
- 9.45p Adjourn
Documents and Links
- Schools Resolution (revised 21 May 2015) [PDF, 100 Kib].
- Schools Committee Presentation and Report [PDF, 5.65 Mib].
- AP Schools Master Planning Committee Report 2015 [PDF, 8.7 MiB] looks at a wide range of ways to address overcrowding. This has not received much notice, but the Schools Committee believes our members would find this report valuable as background for the proposed resolution.
- Housing Committee Resolution on Affordable Housing (revised 26 May 2015) [PDF, 290 Kib].
- The Housing Committee Report in Support of Their Resolution [PDF, 139 Kib]. This report includes links to the Master Housing Plan and the Framework.
- Letter Submitted by the Chair, Affordable Housing Working Group [PDF, 209 Kib].
Other Committee Reports and Amendments Regarding Affordable Housing
- Parks Committee Minority Report on Affordable Housing [PDF, 323 Kib].
- Parks Committee Amendment to Affordable Housing Resolution [PDF, 139 Kib].
- Revenue and Expenditures Committee Minority Report on Affordable Housing [PDF, 151 Kib].
- (Note – There is a significant difference between the projections of future affordable housing per unit costs between the Housing and the Revenue and Expenses Committees [R&E report page 2 paragraph 4 under ‘Construction/Capital Costs].)
- Planning and Zoning Committee Minority Report on Affordable Housing (Not complete; will be available and posted prior to the meeting.)
5 May 2015
- The Affordable Housing Master Plan Resolution was tabled to June.
- Schools Resolution [PDF, 86 Kib]
The Planning and Zoning Committee presented a brief update on the following:
- County Code Chapter 15, Noise Control
- Zoning: FAA Proposed OEI Guideline
- Zoning Ordinance Revision
- Stormwater Management
- Conversations with staff about the revised Retail Plan.
- A copy of the Committee’s presentation is available here [PDF, 481 Kib].
Friday, April 17, 2015
99th ACCF Awards Banquet
- For a photo recap of the evening’s festivities, please click here.
7 Apr 2015
Community Energy Plan Update
- Rich Dooley, Community Energy Coordinator, Arlington Initiative to Rethink Energy (AIRE)/Arlington DES gave an update on the Arlington Community Energy Plan. His presentation is below.
- Implementing the Community Energy Plan [PDF, 1.76 MiB]
Schools and Revenues & Expenditures Committees’ Budget Program
Election of Nominating Committee
Bylaws Resolution Introduction
3 Mar 2015
Arlington County Economic Development Commission [EDC]
- Sally Duran discussed the importance of a flourishing business community which will substantially benefit Arlington taxpayers. We as citizens need to work collaboratively with businesses to find fair solutions when approaching development with a culture of ‘WE,’ not ‘us and them’. Below is her presentation and information on this topic.
- EDC Presentation to Civic Federation [PDF, 870 KiB]
- EDC Innovation Economy Strategy [PDF, 460 KiB]
- EDC Arlington Future Office Market Study [PDF, 2.6 MiB]
- EDC Incentives Report Matrix [PDF, 204 KiB]
Arlington County School Board
- The School Board’s annual presentation included a video released with the FY2016 budget proposal followed by an extended ‘questions and answers’ period with the membership.
- School Board Presentation to Civic Federation [PDF, 2.7 MiB]
- School Board FY2016 Budget Video [4m 19s; WARNING, autoplay].
3 Febr 2015
Virginia Department of Transportation [VDOT]
- Ellen Vogel and Terry Yates of the Virginia Department of Transportation [VDOT] briefed us on recent issues.
Arlington County Board
- In their annual appearance before the ACCF, County Board members Mary Hynes (Chair), Walter Tejada (Vice Chair), Jay Fisette, Libby Garvey and John Vihstadt provided updates on Arlington’s directions for 2015 and answered questions submitted in advance by the Federation’s committee chairs.
Draft Resolution on Arlington County Retail Plan
- Final Resolution on Arlington County Retail Plan [PDF, 254 KiB]
6 Jan 2015
Lee Highway Re-Visioning Plan
- Sandi Chesrown provided an update of the grassroots strategic partnership for re-visioning Lee Highway that is moving forward via 15 civic associations, including Waverly Hills, Arlington East Falls Church, John M. Langston, Glebewood, Yorktown, Tara Leeway, Leeway Overlee, Old Dominion, Donaldson Run, Cherrydale, Waycroft Woodlawn, Maywood, Rock Spring, North Highlands, and Lyon Village. The group is being assisted by Arlington County’s Planning Department and other County department staff.
- County Manager’s Presentation [PDF, 534 KiB]
Arlington Public Schools Superintendent
- Arlington Public Schools Superintendent’s Presentation [PDF, 470 KiB]
2 Dec 2014
Retail Plan Program
Jill Griffin (DED) and Deborah Albert (Zoning) presented the proposed Retail Plan and the proposed revisions to the current Zoning Ordinance. The presentation is available here [PDF, 4.51 MiB].
Public Land for Public Good
- County Board Member Mary Hynes’ presentation at the November meeting [PDF, 375 KiB]
- Comments Submitted to the Executive Committee (revised 7 October) [PDF, 291 KiB]
- Presentation at October meeting (Study Update) [PDF, 937 KiB]
- Presentation at November meeting [PDF, 539 KiB]
- Presentation at November meeting [PDF, 121 KiB]
- Comments from the Committee [PDF, 42 KiB]
- History of Park Land Acquisition Funding [PDF, 84 KiB]
- Jointly proposed resolution for consideration from the Public Services and Planning and Zoning Committees (revised 16 November) [PDF, 32 KiB]
7 Oct 2014
- Civic Priorities based on Membership Survey conducted May through July 2014. Survey Results [PDF, 339 KiB]
- County’s Housing Plan Program
- County Bonds on Ballot
2 Sept 2014
Candidate Night Forum
The Arlington County Civic Federation Candidate Forum is now available either on-line or via cable TV. Links are being forwarded via neighborhood listservs, the October edition of the Arlington County Civic Federation newsletter, and various news outlets.
A great big thank you for coming out on a nasty weather night!
Arlington County Civic Federation Candidates Forum; Sept 2, 2014 Part 1 of 2
Alan Howze (D)
John Vihstadt (I)
Nancy van Doren
Arlington County Civic Federation Candidates Forum; Sept 2, 2014 Part 2 of 2
Arlington County Treasurer
Carla de la Pava
Robert Sarvis (L)
Warner and Gillespie both declined
U.S. House of Representatives
Don Beyer (D)
Micah Edmond (R)
Gwendolyn Beck (I)
Gerry Blais (IG)
Jeffrey Carson (L)
Airing on Comcast 69 and Verizon/FIOS 38 via the Arlington Independent Media channel