Civic Federation meetings are held on the first Tuesday of the month (September – June; except for November). Meetings begin at 7:30 pm at the Hazel Auditorium, Virginia Hospital Center. On nights of the Civic Federation meeting, the gates of the GOLD Parking lot, which is located under the 1635 Medical Offices, will be open and there is no charge for parking. If you use another lot, you will have to pay the regular rate to exit.
Tuesday, June 2, 2015 at 7:30 pm
The June Newsletter will be available shortly.
- 7.30p Call to Order
- 7.40p Election of New Officers (see Nominating Committee slate in newsletter)
- 7.45p Priorities Updates
- 7.50p Revenues and Expenditures Committee Presentation on Economic Development
- 8.05p Schools Committee: Presentation, Resolution and Vote (see below)
- 8.30p Affordable Housing (see below)
- Housing Committee Presentation
- Minority Report, Parks and Recreation
- Minority Report, Revenue and Expenditures
- Minority Report, Planning and Zoning
- Housing Committee Resolution (brought to floor for action)
- Amendments to Resolution Offered
- 9.45p Adjourn
Documents and Links
- Schools Resolution (revised 21 May 2015) [PDF, 100 Kib].
- Schools Committee Presentation and Report [PDF, 5.65 Mib].
- AP Schools Master Planning Committee Report 2015 [PDF, 8.7 MiB] looks at a wide range of ways to address overcrowding. This has not received much notice, but the Schools Committee believes our members would find this report valuable as background for the proposed resolution.
- Housing Committee Resolution on Affordable Housing (revised 15 May 2015) [PDF, 300 Kib].
- The Housing Committee Report in Support of Their Resolution [PDF, 139 Kib]. This report includes links to the Master Housing Plan and the Framework.
- Letter Submitted by the Chair, Affordable Housing Working Group [PDF, 209 Kib].
Other Committee Reports and Amendments Regarding Affordable Housing
- Parks Committee Minority Report on Affordable Housing [PDF, 323 Kib].
- Parks Committee Amendment to Affordable Housing Resolution [PDF, 139 Kib].
- Revenue and Expenditures Committee Minority Report on Affordable Housing [PDF, 151 Kib].
- (Note – There is a significant difference between the projections of future affordable housing per unit costs between the Housing and the Revenue and Expenses Committees [R&E report page 2 paragraph 4 under ‘Construction/Capital Costs].)
- Planning and Zoning Committee Minority Report on Affordable Housing (Not complete; will be available and posted prior to the meeting.)
FUTURE MEETINGS and EVENTS
Tuesday, September 1, 2015 at 7:30 pm
PAST MEETINGS and EVENTS
Tuesday, May 5, 2015
- The Affordable Housing Master Plan Resolution was tabled to June.
- Schools Resolution [PDF, 86 Kib]
The Planning and Zoning Committee presented a brief update on the following:
- County Code Chapter 15, Noise Control
- Zoning: FAA Proposed OEI Guideline
- Zoning Ordinance Revision
- Stormwater Management
- Conversations with staff about the revised Retail Plan.
- A copy of the Committee’s presentation is available here [PDF, 481 Kib].
Friday, April 17, 2015
99th ACCF Awards Banquet
- For a photo recap of the evening’s festivities, please click here.
Tuesday, April 7, 2015 at 7:30 pm
Community Energy Plan Update
- Rich Dooley, Community Energy Coordinator, Arlington Initiative to Rethink Energy (AIRE)/Arlington DES gave an update on the Arlington Community Energy Plan. His presentation is below.
- Implementing the Community Energy Plan [PDF, 1.76 MiB]
Schools and Revenues & Expenditures Committees’ Budget Program
Election of Nominating Committee
Bylaws Resolution Introduction
Tuesday, March 3, 2015
Arlington County Economic Development Commission [EDC]
- Sally Duran discussed the importance of a flourishing business community which will substantially benefit Arlington taxpayers. We as citizens need to work collaboratively with businesses to find fair solutions when approaching development with a culture of ‘WE,’ not ‘us and them’. Below is her presentation and information on this topic.
Arlington County School Board
- The School Board’s annual presentation included a video released with the FY2016 budget proposal followed by an extended ‘questions and answers’ period with the membership.
Tuesday, February 3, 2015
Virginia Department of Transportation [VDOT]
- Ellen Vogel and Terry Yates of the Virginia Department of Transportation [VDOT] briefed us on recent issues.
Arlington County Board
- In their annual appearance before the ACCF, County Board members Mary Hynes (Chair), Walter Tejada (Vice Chair), Jay Fisette, Libby Garvey and John Vihstadt provided updates on Arlington’s directions for 2015 and answered questions submitted in advance by the Federation’s committee chairs.
Draft Resolution on Arlington County Retail Plan
- Draft Resolution on Arlington County Retail Plan [PDF, 66 KiB]
Tuesday, January 6, 2015
Lee Highway Re-Visioning Plan
- Sandi Chesrown provided an update of the grassroots strategic partnership for re-visioning Lee Highway that is moving forward via 15 civic associations, including Waverly Hills, Arlington East Falls Church, John M. Langston, Glebewood, Yorktown, Tara Leeway, Leeway Overlee, Old Dominion, Donaldson Run, Cherrydale, Waycroft Woodlawn, Maywood, Rock Spring, North Highlands, and Lyon Village. The group is being assisted by Arlington County’s Planning Department and other County department staff.
- County Manager’s Presentation [PDF, 534 KiB]
Arlington Public Schools Superintendent
- Arlington Public Schools Superintendent’s Presentation [PDF, 470 KiB]
Information on prior meetings may be found in the Meeting Archive.