Proposed New Member: The Arlington Artists Alliance
Having completed the requirements of Membership to the satisfaction of the ACCF Membership Committee and having had their application to join ACCF recommended to the General Membership by a vote of the ACCF Board of Directors taken 17 December 2023, there will be a motion to admit the Arlington Artists Alliance as a member of ACCF at the Jan 2 meeting.
The by-laws of ACCF includes membership by organizations who share the mission to improve Arlington. In recognition of the importance of arts and culture to the community, ACCF by-laws establish a Cultural Affairs Committee as one of the eleven current standing Committees. The charter of the Committee is: “It shall be the duty of this committee to study, report, and make recommendations on all matters pertaining to cultural affairs, including the establishment and maintenance of facilities and the extension of public libraries facilities for higher education. The committee shall serve as liaison for the Federation with appropriate county officials and private bodies dealing with cultural affairs.” In order to serve the committee mission, the Cultural Affairs Committee is revitalizing the committee and seeking new members of ACCF to assist with this mission. The Arlington Artists Alliance will be an important addition for this goal.
Arlington Artists Alliance is a non-profit organization that champions a vibrant visual arts community in Arlington, VA. The Alliance offers events, programming, classes, studio space, and monthly art shows to connect the community with local artists. Artists are supported through the Alliance’s membership program, which includes networking and opportunities to sell and exhibit their artwork at partnership venues, an online store, and at special events and projects. Gallery Underground, in National Landing, is the full-time art gallery and headquarters for the Alliance.
- An annual student exhibition partnership with Arlington Career Center public high school at Gallery Underground. Alliance volunteers work with over 70 students each year to develop a theme, curate, and install a professional art show.
- An annual partnership event with the veterans’ organization, Uniting US, to showcase artwork by 30 military veterans and their family members. The collaboration includes an exhibition at Gallery Underground as well as a Community Day of art events for military veterans and the public including artist demonstrations and an interactive art project for civilians.
- An annual partnership with Crystal House Apartments, JBG Smith’s workforce housing, to host “Artsgiving,” a free raffle event of over 75 donated artworks by Alliance members to give to Crystal House residents on Giving Tuesday.
- Quarterly exhibitions at 10 partnership locations around Arlington including the Arlington County Board offices, District Biscuit Company, the Arlington Free Clinic, and Virginia Hospital Center.
- Monthly exhibitions and First Friday Opening Receptions at Gallery Underground in National Landing.
- Winter and Spring Artful Weekends at Fort C.F. Smith Park where local Arlingtonians can view and collect artwork by over 40 members of the Arlington Artists Alliance.